The cold season with ice and snow on the roads demands a lot from your shoes. To ensure that you not only have a safe appearance, but also visually convinced, shoe care is important. In addition to the claim to be clean and cared for, you should of course also impregnate your shoes to protect them from moisture. Here at tessamino we have summarized the most important tips for impregnation and shoe care for you.
Cleaning is the be-all and end-all for shoes in winter
Comfortable shoes made of smooth leather or suede should only be worn for one day and then changed. So the leather shoes can recover perfectly from the hardships of winter road and pavement conditions and stay in shape. Especially practical in winter are shoes with Tex membrane . These are extremely breathable, robust, wind and waterproof, but also need these shoes care and how to properly care for your favorite shoes, we have put together tips for you in the following post.
Impregnate shoes with shoe spray
So that your feet stay dry, the impregnation is essential. How to impregnate shoes is a question of the right products.
- Specialist dealers have special sprays for both smooth leather and suede.
- Pay attention to the suitability for Tex materials when buying
- Particularly popular are sprays that are based on the results of nanotechnology.
- We recommend that you equip your new shoes with a basic protection against rain, snow and dirt before they are worn for the first time.
When using the impregnation spray , it is important to apply several thin layers rather than one thick layer. This allows the spray to penetrate better and your shoes are better protected against moisture and cold. Spray the shoes about three times in succession and let the spray work for 15 minutes . Do not use the spray indoors, but use it outside only!
Incidentally, how often you impregnate your shoes depends on how often you wear them. If you rarely put on boots & co, impregnation at the beginning of the cold season is sufficient. For daily use, you should impregnate the comfort shoes after cleaning to maintain the moisture protection.
Impregnate shoes – How long to dry?
For effective protection against moisture, spray the shoes about three times in succession and let the spray work for 15 minutes. Depending on the content of the impregnation spray your shoes will dry after 20 to 30 minutes . However, an impregnating agent develops its full effect only after 24 hours . Let your shoes move in for a safe day so be sure to keep them well ventilated.
Find the right impregnating agent
For shoe care, there are a lot of products on the market, but which impregnating agent is the best? A high-quality impregnation spray can be recognized by the following properties:
- Reliable water repellency
- Breathability: When using a high-quality impregnation protection, the leather of your shoes remains as supple and breathable after use as on the first day.
- Oil and Stain Repellent: Effective protection not only protects your favorite shoes from water damage. It also acts as a repellent to oil and dirt so that you can enjoy your shoes for a long time. No matter whether colorful or white shoes are concerned – impregnating agents protect all colors equally.
Already with the first use of a new impregnating agent, you can determine whether it is a high-quality product. Sprayed from the recommended distance, the waterproofing spray should not leave unwanted residue or stains on the shoe surface. The odor during spraying is still inconspicuous and not unpleasantly noticeable when used outdoors.
Grandmother’s home remedy – impregnate smooth leather
If you prefer to resort to traditional means of shoe care, there are also traditional leather impregnate home-made home remedies. Shoe seams are often a weak point in terms of weather resistance . In storm and wind, moisture penetrates even through the smallest openings and bumps.
- In order to effectively impregnate shoe seams, one has always resorted to leather grease. Choose either leather grease in the color of your shoes or a colorless product. Heated by a hair dryer , the grease becomes fluid and optimally clings to the stitched yarn and even the tiniest holes.
- Nylon stockings are a cheap yet gentle alternative to gently massage the grease into previously cleaned shoes. Remove excess product residue and allow the shoes to dry well after treatment.
The water-repellent nature of the fat gently protects your shoes from moisture. A note on shoes with Tex membrane: it is best not to use leather grease as this may interfere with the function of the Tex membrane if applied too often!
Impregnate shoes – remove stains
If stains have been created while impregnating the shoes , this can have several causes. For example, shoes made of fatty leather have a high fat content, so that an impregnating agent is difficult to absorb. If you act quickly, the resulting stains can be removed with a soft cloth .
Also, be sure to use only high quality waterproofing agents and shake the waterproofing spray thoroughly before use , and apply at the recommended minimum of one shoe length.
Proper shoe care
Fine leather shoes should be treated with a soft brush or a soft cloth , while suede is best used with a crepe brush . Then you should use a suitable care product for shoe care , whether you resort to shoe polish, spray or a liquid care product, is up to you. For shoes with a Tex membrane, no special care is required.
By the way, you should also pay attention to the order:
- Smooth leather should be brushed only after applying the shoe care,
- Suede or rough leather should first be roughened accordingly by brush strokes.
Do not forget seams and zips when doing your shoe care. These will do well if they are greased with wax at regular intervals. The wax also protects against the ingress of moisture.
Snow edges or unsightly white spots can be effectively removed with a soft, damp cloth.
- Persistent impurities can be treated with a little bit of mineral spirits , which you apply diluted.
- For leather shoes, there is a special leather cleaning spirit , which is perfectly tailored to the needs of natural material.
- For the removal of water marks on shoes made of smooth leather vinegar water is suitable .
To be on the safe side, whether the respective agent is also suitable, you should test it in a little visible place on the leather.
However, it is important in all cleaning methods that you apply a nourishing shoe polish afterwards and rub it with a soft cloth. If the soles of your comfort shoes are overused or dirty, the use of a simple household tip will help, after which you simply stick on wide adhesive tape and then remove it again.
Impregnate shoes environmentally friendly and healthy
Many environmentalists see classic impregnants as critical. They contain environmentally harmful and harmful substances, such as fluorine or PFC substances. These substances can not be biodegraded. When purchasing impregnating agents, make sure that your impregnating agent is marked “PFC-free”.
But even if your impregnant contains no PFC substances, you should always take care when impregnating your shoes to keep the shoes away from yourself, so you do not inhale the impregnating agent. Moreover, never impregnate your shoes in closed rooms, but only in the open air.